Saturday, June 12, 2010

When does "My Organization Chart" get updated?

There is a new feature in SharePoint 2010 called "Organization browse". In big company, it's quite useful, that it can help user to find the basic relationship among specific users. This relationship is defined by the "Manager" field in User Profile.

Recently got an interesting issue. After updating the "Manager" of one user profile, it seems the change won't take effect immediately. We have to wait for around 20 to 40 minutes, and then, all of sudden, it begin to display the current manager! At first I thought we just need to run a job manually from central administration to refresh the data. But after trying all possible jobs, it still displays the previous manager.

Since the "Organization Manager" is actually a silverlight component, and the data is same to all users, and is read-only, I think it is possible stored in IIS application cache.  The test confirmed my guess: after rebooting IIS, the "My Organization Chart" get updated to the current manager.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Eric - a few years later trawling and I find your question. The Manager field will update once an Incremental update has run on the User Profile Sync Service (you can do this manually)and the user Profile Service timer jobs run (a few mintues after the update).
    You probably found the 20 minutes wait due to your Incremental SYnc being set to run every 20 - 40 minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous - I don't think that is entirely accurate. While the Sync does bring the information in, you can still have the mismatch between the Silverlight Organizational Viewer vs what is in the UPS Profile for that user. I have had this happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding to what I said - it required the server IIS cache to expire before the Org Browser showed the right info finally. So Eric is right.

    ReplyDelete