Monday, June 3, 2013

SharePoint 2010 patch could not be installed. Error code 1603

Recently I rebuilt a WFE server. SharePoint 2010 SP1 was installed successfully.  However, when trying to install CU 201304, I got the error message below:

MSI (s) (7C:CC) [13:46:54:523]: Product: Microsoft Search Server 2010 Core - Update 'Hotfix for Microsoft Project Server 2010 (KB2775426) 64-Bit Edition' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\Users\#SPSET~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2\coreserver-x-none_MSPLOG.LOG.

MSI (s) (7C:CC) [13:46:54:523]: Windows Installer installed an update. Product Name: Microsoft Search Server 2010 Core. Product Version: 14.0.6029.1000. Product Language: 0. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Update Name: Hotfix for Microsoft Project Server 2010 (KB2775426) 64-Bit Edition. Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI (s) (7C:CC) [13:46:54:523]: Note: 1: 1729 
MSI (s) (7C:CC) [13:46:54:523]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error 
MSI (s) (7C:CC) [13:46:54:523]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1729 
MSI (s) (7C:CC) [13:46:54:523]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error 
MSI (s) (7C:CC) [13:46:54:523]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709 
MSI (s) (7C:CC) [13:46:54:523]: Product: Microsoft Search Server 2010 Core -- Configuration failed.

MSI (s) (7C:CC) [13:46:54:523]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft Search Server 2010 Core. Product Version: 14.0.6029.1000. Product Language: 0. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1603.

There was not much useful information in the error log. So I enabled windows installer logging, and got a lot of message like below.

Product: Microsoft Search Server 2010 Core. The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key \Software\Classes\CLSID\{3050F667-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}\InprocServer32.



Quite clear that the SharePoint patch installer doesn't have the rights to modify registry table. But, I had logged on with local administrator rights.   So I tried to change the registry table manually, and got the error message below.


The permission settings of those registry entries are here:




One possible cause is Windows UAC.  However, it's not this case. The UAC is disabled on local computer.


Not sure how this problem was raised.  I had installed SharePoint server patches many times cross several farms. This was the first time got that issue.

I contacted network administrators, and confirmed there was no group policy restriction.

To fix the problem is easy.  I downloaded a free tool DevxExec, then ran the command "devxexec.exe /user:TrustedInstaller E:\Setup\Microsoft\SharePoint\2010\ServicePack\CU201304\ubersrvprj2010-kb2775426-fullfile-x64-glb.exe".

As a quick fix, I am happy about the result.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Same error, devxexec dosen't fix it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an almost identical issue with SharePoint SP2 installer.
    I was dubious, but devxexec worked for me

    Thank you
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete