Thursday, July 30, 2020

Use Power Automate to replace SharePoint workflows ...... serious?!

Two weeks ago, I got the notification email from Microsoft, which claimed that SharePoint workflow (2010) on SharePoint Online platform would retire by Nov 1st, 2020.

I was shocked. I thought the date should be around 2026!

My company have hundreds of SharePoint workflows. How can we migrate them to Power Automate in less than four months?!

To me, Power Automate is not mature enough yet. I planned to do the migration at around 2023 or 2024, but now ...... anyway, there is no other choice.

A few questions popped up.

1. Can I migrate those workflows directly?


No. I have to train end users how to develop Power Automate flow, and then ask them to do the migration!

Why? See below.

Power Automate per user plan 5,000
Office licenses (that include Power Apps/Power Automate) 2,000



If I do the migration, I would have to purchase an extra license for a service account, then use the service account to connect the flow to SPO, OUTLOOK, TEAMS, etc. Hundreds of flows would contain thousands of actions, then it would hit the daily limit immediately.

2. How long it would take to teach thousands of users to build complex Power Automate flow? And support them?


Forever?

3. When a user left company, what should I do with the Power Apps and Power Automate he/she created?


Microsoft support provides the link below. It works, but how many hours are needed for each Power Automate flow?




I feel sad and angry. The boat is sinking, and there is nothing I can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment